Started by Peter Orr in 1846 this company, which is still operating, opened its famous showroom on Mount Road, inaugurated by Prince George, Duke of York, who later became King George V, and Princess May of Teck, who later became Queen Mary. The store initially sold diamond jewels, silver wares and clocks and watches. In its heyday, P. Orr & Sons was the leading goldsmiths, silversmiths and jewellers in Southern India. Its clientele included Governors, Zamindars and the very wealthy.
The original showroom displayed the Golconda and 68 carat Guntakkal Diamond as well as high quality rubies brought in from their Rangoon store.